The Technical Services Instrument shop is a well equipped machine shop and a team of experienced technicians providing you with custom solutions to your research equipment needs. Our expertise comes from over forty years of serving the research community at WSU Pullman and the branch campuses at WSU Tri-Cities, WSU Vancouver and WSU Spokane. We have the combined abilities to design and fabricate, modify, or repair a wide variety of scientific apparatus. We work closely with faculty, students, and research personnel providing design assistance and timely production of high quality apparatus tailored to your exact specifications.
We can provide inexpensive parts production in high end ABS plastics that are fully functional parts or can be used for prototyping during research development and design. Our large build capacity printer gives us the ability to print 3-D models as large as 10x10x12 in size. Bring your SolidWorks or other CAD drawn files for us to process, or we can design and develop from beginning to end for you.
- Cutting, Milling, Turning and Grinding a wide variety of materials including exotics such as metal-ceramic composites and high-temperature alloys.
- Sheet metal fabrication
- TIG, MIG, and wire-feed welding of steel, stainless steel, aluminum and exotic alloys.
- Plasma cutting
- Two, Three or Four-axis CNC milling (20″ X 40″ capacity)
- CNC turning (10″ diameter X 40″ capacity)
- Heat treatment
- Plastics fabrication
- Ultra-sonic cleaning
We have the capabilities and experience to manufacture and test high-vacuum chambers and ancillary equipment. We are also the major supplier of projectiles, target components, and laboratory hardware for the Institute for Shock Physics at WSU Pullman.
Examples of Equipment Designed Fabricated and Repaired
- Complex stainless steel vacuum chambers and components (skimmers, motion and electrical feed-throughs, flanges, etc.)
- Precision optical mounting components and breadboards
- Food testing and processing devices
- Electrophoresis apparatus
- Teaching demonstration apparatus
- Hydraulic and pneumatic systems and controls
- Workbenches, instrument covers and special lab furniture
- Electronics panels
- Animal enclosures/mazes
- Shipping crates
- Instrument cases
- Surgical devices
- Engraved plaques and signs
We also sell materials such as metals, plastics, tubing, tube
and pipe fittings, and fasteners.